Friday, August 31, 2012

Join in the Process


Week of August 26, 2012: A Canon of Picture Books
Friday, August 31—Join in the Process

Today’s post is short and sweet (or at least short). I want to know what characteristics you look for in quality picture books. What inspires you? What intrigues you? What characteristics do you think are present in picture books that withstand the passage of time and are popular with one generation after another? What makes a picture book appreciated by both critics and children?

Post your thoughts below. Our ideas might contribute to our own canons of children’s picture books. Our ideas will certainly challenge us to improve our writing and strive to make our picture books be among the best

3 comments:

Deborah Holt Williams said...

For me, the pictures in picture books have to be beautiful, or at least appealing. I know that some books with what I consider unnattractive art have gone on to be very popular, but I won't purchase them for my grandkids unless they are lovely.

Tina Cho said...

For me, I love pb's with heart, those that make me say "aw" in a loving way at the end.

Lynn R. Moses said...

I agree with Deborah. The artwork is very important to me. Sometimes I won't even look at a single word in a book if I don't like the art on the cover. It's probably not right or fair, but it does show how important art is to the story. Of course I also love a good story that makes me laugh as well as my kids.