Week of September 18: Writer, Examine Thyself
Friday, September 23—10 Commandments for Writers
The Ten Commandments (Or, Strong Suggestions)
for Picture Book Writers
1. Readeth everything you findeth in your genre.
2. Immerse thyself in the classics of children’s literature.
3. Researcheth market trends and learneth all thou can—then forgetteth it all, and write the book on thine heart.
4. Sitteth thine butt in thine chair and write.
5. First getteth thine ideas on paper—and then thou can revise.
6. Readeth thine writing aloud.
7. Yoke thyself to a critique group and participateth.
8. Getteth thyself to an SCBWI conference.
9. Diversify and be prolific. (If thou hast been working on the same picture book for two years, moveth on.)
10. Thinketh of thineself as a writer. Call thineself a writer. As you think and believe, so you are.
We thank thee, Bob, for lifting our spirits this morn.
Printing this out and hanging above my computer. :) Thanks!
Must print and tape to wall over my desk!
Post a Comment