Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Steps

Week of January 8, 2012—Jumping Into 2012 Feet First
Wednesday, January 11, 2012—The Steps

Several years ago the company I worked for sent me on an extended trip to Israel with a film crew. The trip was an amazing experience in many ways and I look often at the souvenirs, artifacts, and photos I brought back.


On a side to trip to Jericho, my co-worker and dear friend, Lynne Norris, and I (along with Lynne’s mom, Martha) visited the Mount of Temptation. At the base of the mountain our tour guide suggested that we climb the steep steps to the Monastery of the Temptation. The monastery houses what is reported to be the very rock on which Christ sat during the thirty days of His temptation. We were game because we could see two or three flights of stairs and they seemed doable.

“Aren’t you coming with us?” I asked the tour guide.

“No, my friend. I have seen before. You go. I wait here in the restaurant,”  he answered. (The air-conditioned restaurant I might add.)

What we didn’t realize is that Jericho is one of the lowest cities in the world, more than 800 feet below sea level, and the monastery sits more than 1000 feet above sea level and hangs off the craggy cliffs. (You do the math.) Each time we came to the top of one flight of stairs, another appeared on the right, then another on the left. By the time we reached the monastery, we were red-faced, covered with sweat, and out of water. (Did I mention Jericho is in the desert?)

So what’s the point? There were many steps to reach our destination in Jericho. And there are many steps to accomplish the pillars and dreams you created earlier this week. Use the chart below to help you begin to plan the steps to take to achieve all you hope to in 2012. (Note: Not every question below will fit every writer. Pick and choose what works for you and add other questions that you need to ensure your success.)

Steps I’ll take to learn more about writing . . .

Steps I’ll take to improve my writing . . .

Steps I’ll take to collaborate with other writers . . .

Steps I’ll take to invest in my writing . . .

Steps I’ll take to get input into my writing . . .

Steps I’ll take to get my writing “out there” . . .

Steps I’ll take to learn more about the publishing industry . . .

Steps I’ll take to learn more about picture books . . .

Steps I’ll take to gather more writing ideas . . .

Steps I’ll take to increase my productivity . . .

Steps I’ll take to increase my commitment to my writing . . .

Other steps I’ll take to ensure I work towards my writing dreams and my “pillars” . . .

Other steps I’ll take . . .





It’s Your Turn!
1. Recording the steps you’ll take will increase your focus on your “pillars” and get you closer to your dreams. Write down the steps you will take. Then place them in a prominent place to keep you focused and on task.

No comments: