Monday, April 18, 2011

Finding a Critique Group

Week of April 17: The Power of Critiques
Monday, April 18—Finding a Critique Group

Last Wednesday was the monthly meeting of my local picture book critique group, PB&J (Picture Books and Java). After the meeting, our newest member, Susan, sent me an email. Here’s an excerpt:

I've never had more fun at a critique group and learned at the same time. I'm truly grateful to be a PB&Jer.”

That is how I feel after each of our monthly meetings. I wish I had found a critique group much earlier in my writing life—for the camaraderie, the inspiration, the help, the friendship. I should have known the importance of critique groups long ago. In writing education we offer critiques, but we call them conferences. Conferences are when we talk writer-to-writer with a student author. That is also the time we find good things in the child’s writing and offer suggestions (usually one thing) to focus on and improve.

After attending several picture book and SCBWI regional events, I finally came to the point of realizing I needed to belong to a critique group. Since it took me awhile to find a critique group, let me share a few tips that might be helpful to others.

Note: This is not my critique group. We are all much younger and prettier! Besides, there's no pie on this table!

Face-to-face Groups
Even though I live in a metropolitan area and am a member of a very healthy SCBWI region, finding a face-to-face critique group was difficult. I began by going to my region’s web page (to find your region, go to http://www.scbwi.org/Pages.aspx/Regional-Chapters). From there, I went to the web page for the region and found a list of critique groups sorted by cities/counties/areas. (Note: Each region does this a bit differently.) There was a brief description about each group which included the type of manuscripts critiqued in the group, the number of members, frequency of meetings, and if the group was accepting members. On this page I also found the name and email address of the volunteer critique group coordinator for my region. (Note: You can also find critique groups through the Discussion Boards on the SCBWI web site.)

I emailed the three or four critique groups in my area that had openings and I wrote to our regional critique group coordinator. The coordinator got back with me right away and put me on her list of people searching for a group. After numerous emails, I finally found one group that was open to new members.

There were three picture book authors in that first group—everyone else wrote YA and MG. One of the picture book folks moved to NYC soon after I joined, and the author picture book author usually never brought any manuscripts for critique. The group was warm, accepting, and helpful. Though they freely admitted they knew little about picture books. They raved about my writing—which was flattering, but not all that helpful if you know what I mean.

I soon decided that the reason I was attending those meetings was to develop the discipline and routine of attending a group. I was also learning how to read others writing with a critical eye, and to give feedback and constructive criticism in a positive way. Though I have since left that group, those critiquers remain my friends and we connect at conferences and the like.

Online Groups
My critique group friend who moved to NYC recommended that I might want to join an online critique group called YBR (Yellow Brick Road), moderated by Lisa Michaels. I applied for the group and sent a writing sample. Lisa soon contacted me and invited me to join. The number of group members varies over time, but usually there are around 15 active members. We post a manuscript on our group blog between Friday at 5:00 p.m. and Monday at 5:00 p.m. We then have until 5:00 p.m. on the upcoming Friday to complete our critiques and email them to the entire group. Each member completes two critiques a week and that results in writers receiving three critiques for each manuscript submitted. (We have now gone to a bi-weekly posting schedule, but the critiquing process works the same.)

My one caution about critiquing online is to be careful what you type. When you are face-to-face, people understand your humor, see in your eye that you mean well, and you can explain when someone doesn’t understand—online feelings can easily be hurt and typed words can easily be misunderstood.

You can find online critique groups by searching the Discussion Boards on the SCBWI web site. Lisa Michaels recently wrote an article about online critique groups for the SCBWI Bulletin, April/May 2011. The link to the issue is: http://www.scbwi.org/Pages.aspx/Current-Issue.

Paid Critiques
Many people offer paid critique services (including me). I only use these services IF I know the person (through a conference, his/her writing, etc.). A paid-critique service is not for a first or second draft or even a third draft. That’s what your critique group is for. Use a paid-critique service ONLY when you have taken a manuscript as far as you can and don’t know how to take it to the next level.

Paid-critique services vary in cost from $25.00 to $125.00 or more. Usually the higher the price, the more extensive the critique. Some services are completed totally online, others via snail mail.

Paid Critiques at Conferences
When you attend a regional or national SCBWI conference you often have the opportunity to pay for a critique. The purpose of this critique is totally different than your on-going critique group or even other paid critiques. When you are paying for a critique (or consultation as they are sometimes called) at a conference, you will usually be assigned to an industry professional (a published author, editor, or agent). You want to wow that person with your manuscript. You want your manuscript as perfect as possible, because not only are you receiving a critique, you are also pitching your book. Yes, you will get constructive feedback, but you ultimately are hoping for more!

It’s Your Turn!
1. Do you have a critique group? If not, start your search today.
2. If you are a member of a critique group, thank your lucky stars (and maybe your fellow members).

2 comments:

The Storylady said...

I've belonged to a critique group for about three years. They were instrumental in supporting me on my path to getting published. (Cliffhanger Writing Prompts, Scholastic Resources, coming out in July)

Now one member isn't really writing any more, and the other concentrates on a different genre, so while I love them for camaraderie and support, I'm feeling the need to interact with more serious writers in my genre (picture book and middle grade). I'm probably going to find an online critique group through SCBWI. Thanks for the info!

Rob Sanders said...

Groups really do change over time, don't they? I encourage you to go a-searchin! You might want to check out the Yellow Brick Road--the online group I belong to. Lisa Michaels is our facilitator. http://welcometoybr.blogspot.com/